Posts Tagged ‘Tahrir Square protests’

Egyptians intensify protests against embattled Brotherhood

Demonstrators demand the ouster of President Morsi. —Photo by Mai Shaheen in Cairo, Egypt

Newscast Media CAIRO, Egypt—Hundreds of protesters have been arriving in Tahrir Square since early morning in preparation for mass rallies against President Morsi’s constitutional declaration and the draft constitution. Seventeen marches are expected to begin after Friday prayers from venues around Cairo including Giza, Tahrir Square, Abbaseya and a number of mosques. They will converge on the presidential palace in Heliopolis.

The protest has been variously termed ‘Friday to oust the Brotherhood’s militias’, ‘Red Card Friday’, and ‘Ultimatum Friday’. Around twenty-one groups have announced their participation in the protests.

Hundreds of protesters have been holding a sit-in in Tahrir Square since 22 November when President Morsi’s constitutional declaration rendered his decisions above judicial challenge and made the Islamist-dominated Shura Council and Constituent Assembly immune from dissolution by court order.

Protesters marched around Tahrir Square early Friday chanting, “The people want the downfall of the Brotherhood and Morsi” and “Leave, leave Morsi and Badie,” referring to the Muslim Brotherhood’s Supreme Guide Mohamed Badie.

http://newscastmedia.com/egyptprotests3.htm

         

Be the first to comment - What do you think?  Posted by Joseph Earnest - December 8, 2012 at 12:10 am

Categories: News   Tags: , , ,

Egyptians plan million-man march in Tahrir square on Friday

Cairo Egypt

Newscast Media CAIRO, Egypt — After the latest round of violence against protesters, Egyptians are calling for a million-man march on Friday Dec. 23 to protest military rule. Nineteen different political and cultural movements released a statement on Monday urging all factions to set aside their political differences and rally under the single slogan, “Down with military rule.”

According to Ahram Online, the statement stressed that the aim of the proposed Friday demonstration was to “regain the nation’s honor,” which had been tarnished by the military following the February departure of longstanding president Hosni Mubarak.

Meanwhile, Al-Masry Al-Youm reports that in a televised news conference, General Adel Emara, member of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF), offered the generals’ version of the violence that erupted on Friday in downtown Cairo, which left at least 11 killed and more than 500 injured. He denied reports of the military using “excessive force” against protesters, accusing the media of falsifying reports.

“The armed forces does not use violence systematically,” said Emara. “We exercise a level of self-restraint that others envy. We do not do that out of weakness but out of concern for national interests.”

“What hurts me as a citizen and not as as a SCAF member is the scene of a young man making the victory sign after the building of the Roads and Bridges Authority was set ablaze, as if he had defeated an enemy. On the other side of the road, a solider of the same age was sacrificing his life for the the country’s sake,” said Emara.

As he was entertaining questions, Emara interrupted a reporter to announce that he had received information about a potential plot to set the building of the People’s Assembly on fire today.

According to activists and eyewitnesses, military personnel picked a fight with protesters with the intention of dispersing the sit-in, whose main demands were the firing of newly appointed Prime Minister Kamal al-Ganzouri and the transfer of power from the military to civilians.

Groups of young activists have already proposed that the presidential poll be held on January 25, the first anniversary of Egypt’s revolution, and that a civilian president be sworn in on February 11, the same day Hosni Mubarak stepped down last year.

Other pundits suggested a different path, in which the military would cede power to the speaker of the People’s Assembly as soon as the People’s Assembly polls conclude on January 13.

http://www.newscastmedia.com/egypt.html

          

1 comment - What do you think?  Posted by Joseph Earnest - December 19, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Categories: News   Tags: , , , ,

Death toll from clashes in Egypt continues to rise nationwide

Cairo, Egypt street protests

Newscast Media CAIRO, Egypt — Reports from Egypt reveal that a protester died on Wednesday morning in clashes in Marsa Matruh in northwest Egypt and three more were killed in Cairo, bringing the total death toll from clashes that first broke out Saturday to 35.

Deputy Health Minister Hesham Sheeha said Wednesday that 28 people were killed in Cairo, two in Alexandria, one in Ismailia and one in Marsa Matruh. But the Health Ministry count was later increased to 31 casualties in Cairo.

Meanwhile, a group of protesters attempted to attack Health Minister Amr Helmy while he was touring Tahrir Square this afternoon. His bodyguards shielded him off from the attack and got him into his car, swiftly ending his visit to the square.

In statements to the press, Helmy denied allegations that a nerve agent is being used against the protesters.
Helmy added said he has ordered the formation of a three-member committee to test samples of the gas used on the protesters to verify that it does not contain any banned substances. The gas canisters used to disperse protesters are US-made, but not expired, he added.

“Even if they had expired, that would mean their effective substances have lost effect and are less harmful,” he said.

A public prosecution delegation began visiting Tahrir Wednesday to investigate assaults on protesters and reporters by police forces.The Journalists Syndicate had filed a report on Tuesday accusing Prime Minister
Essam Sharaf and Interior Minister Mansour al-Essawy of targeting reporters and killing protesters.

The delegation met with field doctors and protesters to inquire about the nature of the injuries and when they took place. http://www.newscastmedia.com/cairo-egypt.html

Source Al-Masry Al-Youm

          

Be the first to comment - What do you think?  Posted by Joseph Earnest - November 23, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Categories: News   Tags: , , , , , , ,

Massive Youth-led Protests Nationwide on Feb 1. To Occur In Cairo Egypt. Govt shuts down train service.

Egyptian youth plan massive protest Tuesday Feb 1.

Newscast Media CAIRO Egypt — To consolidate the demands made in the past six days of protests, Egyptian youth plan to carry out a massive protest on Tuesday Feb 1. and are calling it, “People want to prosecute the president” protest.

In a statement released to the Egyptian press, the mobilizers said: “The demonstration, which will be conducted from multiple parts of Egypt, will celebrate the first day of our uprising. The slogan of the day will be ‘people want to prosecute the president.”

In downtown Cairo, Egypt’s Minister of Defense, Mohamed Tantawi, was reportedly seen joining the protesters in Tahrir Square. Tantawi in also Commander in Chief of the Egyptian Armed Forces. Egyptian neighbors up north, especially Israel, are worried about the outcome of the protests and are urging countries and media practitioners not to criticize Mubarak.

Hoping that peaceful ties with Egypt continue, Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said, “We are following with vigilance the events in Egypt and in our region. At this time we must show responsibility and restraint.”

In the Orient, Beijing is getting nervous and the Chinese government is filtering and censoring news events pertaining to unrest in Egypt. Pictures depicting demonstrators in Egypt are being omitted by Chinese newspapers and broadcasts, preferring to show Mubarak meeting with government officials. China actively censors content seen as a potential challenge to the legitimacy of the ruling Communist Party out of fear that the Chinese citizens may arise and imitate what other demonstrators are doing.

Early on Sunday, Al Jazeera reported that six of its journalists were arrested and detained, however, a tweet on Monday from Alec Ross, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s Senior Advisor for Innovation, indicated that pressure from the US Secretary of State prompted the Egyptians to release the journalists. Read tweet below:

Tweet confirming release of Al Jazeera journalists

Egyptian media is also reporting that on Monday, January 31, The Railway Authority announced that it would stop all service throughout the country without explaining the reasons and the deadline for the return of its services. An official source who spoke to the Egyptian media on condition of anonymity said source said that the government is trying to sabotage the flow of people to Cairo to take part in tomorrow’s one-million people protest, which is intended to renew demands President Hosni Mubarak to step down. http://www.newscastmedia.com/mega-protest-tuesday.html

          

Be the first to comment - What do you think?  Posted by Joseph Earnest - January 31, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Categories: News   Tags: , , , ,