Newscast Media BEIJING—Chinese and U.S. diplomats for Korean Peninsula affairs will
exchange views on denuclearization and resumption of the six-party talks, a Foreign
Ministry spokesman said on Monday.
U.S. special envoy for Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) Policy Glyn
Davies arrived in Beijing late Sunday on the first leg of a trip that will take him to the
Republic of Korea (ROK) and Japan this week.
In Beijing, Davies had talks with Chinese officials, including Chinese Vice Foreign
Minister Zhang Yesui and his counterpart Wu Dawei, spokesman Qin Gang told a
regular press conference.
Davies last visited the three countries in November. U.S. Deputy Secretary of State
William Burns and Daniel Russel, assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific
affairs visited the same countries last week.
The six-party talks between the DPRK, the ROK, the United States, China, Japan and
Russia, have been suspended since late 2008.
Seoul and Washington have demanded Pyongyang show sincerity about
denuclearization before they return to the table.
DPRK’s ambassador to the United Nations, Sin Son-Ho, on Friday repeated a
conciliatory message to the ROK, but demanded cancellation of the annual U.S.-ROK
military drills scheduled to start in late February.
Newscast Media TEHRAN—With North Korea having sounded the battle cry, war seems inevitable and one Iranian commander foresees infliction of heavy losses on the U.S. and its allies, should they commence to war against Kim Jung Un.
“The presence of the Americans in [South] Korea has been the root cause of tensions in this sensitive region in the past and present. The US and its allies will suffer great losses if a war breaks out in this region,” Deputy Chief of Staff of Iran’s Armed Forces Brigadier General Masoud Jazayeri said on Friday.
He added that the US presence has also created division between North Korea and South Korea.
The Iranian commander emphasized that if international organizations and the United Nations acted efficiency and independent of big powers, they would have prevented tension in the Korean Peninsula and stopped the US extortionism.
Jazayeri stressed that independent countries would not submit to the US mischief, saying the time for Washington’s bullying and extortionism is long past.
War of words escalated after the participation of the United States’ nuclear-capable B-52s and B-2 stealth bombers in its joint military drills with South Korea.
On Thursday, North Korea said a preemptive nuclear war with the United States “could break out today or tomorrow.”
The Pentagon said on Wednesday that Washington would deploy the ballistic Terminal High Altitude Area Defense System (THAAD) to Guam in the coming weeks.
The US has also deployed a battalion equipped to deal with nuclear, biological and chemical attacks to South Korea.
Newscast Media SEOUL—South Korean President Park Geun-hye has warned North Korea that any provocation will be met with a “strong response,” after Pyongyang said it was in a state of war with Seoul.
“If there is any provocation against South Korea and its people, there should be a strong response in initial combat without any political considerations,” Park said at a meeting with the country’s senior military and security officials on Monday.The President also said that she “sees the recent (North Korea’s) threats very seriously.”
South Korean Defense Minister Kim Kwan-Jin also said at the meeting that Seoul would target the North’s nuclear and missile facilities if hostilities erupted.
“We will… establish a so-called ‘active deterrence’ aimed at neutralizing the North’s nuclear and missile threats quickly,” the minister said.
The remarks came a day after the United States sent F-22 stealth fighter jets to South Korea in order to join military drills with Seoul amid escalating tensions on the Korean Peninsula. On Saturday, Pyongyang announced that it is in a “state of war” with South Korea, warning that any provocation by Seoul and Washington will trigger an all-out nuclear war.
Pyongyang said henceforth “the North-South relations will be entering a state of war and all issues raised between the North and the South will be handled accordingly.”
Pyongyang also warned that if Washington and Seoul launched a preemptive attack, the conflict “will not be limited to a local war, but develop into an all-out war, a nuclear war.”
The warnings came days after South Korea and the US signed a new military pact in response to what they called even low-level provocations by Pyongyang.
Newscast Media WASHINGTON—North Korea says it is informing the United Nations of an imminent nuclear war on the Korean peninsula due to provocation from Seoul and Washington.
“Our people and army are entering the final stage of preparations for war against the United States to defend their country’s dignity and sovereignty,” the North Korean foreign ministry said in a Tuesday statement carried by the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
Meanwhile on Wednesday, the KCNA also reported that top North Korean leaders are scheduled to meet in the coming days to make a decision on an “important” issue.
According to the agency, the Political Bureau of the Communist Party’s Central Committee will hold its meeting before the end of March in a move to “discuss and decide an important issue for victoriously advancing the Korean revolution.”
The date of the meeting and the issue to be discussed have not been specified, yet. However, analysts in South Korea believe decisions on international relations, security and also the reshuffling of personnel will be made at the meeting.
This comes as in a separate statement on Tuesday, the Supreme Command of the Korean People’s Army said that it has elevated its artillery and strategic missile forces to “combat-ready posture,” adding that it was ready to strike US territory.
North Korea said it would “show off our army and people’s stern reaction to safeguard our sovereignty and the highest dignity through military actions.”
In reaction to the comments, Pentagon spokesman George Little said that, “We are concerned by any threat raised by the North Koreans,” adding, “We take everything they say and everything they do very seriously. They need to stop threatening peace—that doesn’t help anyone.”
On March 11, Seoul and Washington launched a week-long annual joint military maneuver near the Korean Peninsula despite warnings from Pyongyang. The maneuver involved 10,000 South Korean soldiers and about 3,000 US troops.
Source: Press TV
Newscast Media SEOUL—Iran’s semi-official news outlet Fars News Agency reported that North Korea is accusing the U.S. of causing instability between the North and South. North Korea is facing further UN sanctions for its underground nuclear test explosion two weeks ago, its biggest and most powerful to date which prompted warnings from Washington.
“The US is to blame for the situation on the Korean peninsula which is inching close to an unpredictable phase now,” So Se Pyong, North Korea’s ambassador to the UN in Geneva, told the UN-sponsored Conference on Disarmament.
“The US should no longer be allowed to seriously infringe upon the independent right of the DPRK to use space for peaceful purposes nor should it be allowed to abuse the UN Security Council as a tool for executing its hostile policy toward the DPRK,” he added, using the acronym for the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
“The third nuclear test was carried out as part of the practical countermeasures for defending the country’s sovereignty and security to cope with ruthless hostile behaviors of the US, which wantonly infringed upon the DPRK’s legitimate right to satellite launch for peaceful purposes,” So said.
Newscast Media PYONGYANG—The North Korean army threatened Friday to carry out a “merciless military strike” against South Korea next week, in a serious escalation of cross-border tensions. The Korean People’s Army (KPA) vowed to initiate the strike if a group of North Korean defectors now living in the South went ahead with plans to scatter propaganda leaflets next Monday from balloons floated over the border.
“The moment a minor movement for the scattering is captured… a merciless military strike by the Western Front will be put into practice without warning,” the KPA said in a statement carried on the official Korean Central News Agency.
Residents in and around the area where the activists plan to launch their balloons should “evacuate in anticipation of possible damage. The surrounding area will become targets of direct firing of the KPA,” the statement said, adding: “The KPA never makes empty talk.”
South Korea vows it will not leave the threat unanswered, saying it would return fire.
“If (a North Korean strike) were to happen, there would be a perfect response against the source of the attack,” Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin told a parliamentary committee, Reuters reported.
Korean Central News Agency also warned inhabitants of the border region to leave the area of Imjingak “in anticipation of possible damage.”
Source: Al Manar TV