Newscast Media NEW YORK—The ranks of the world’s billionaires continue to scale
new heights–and stretch to new corners of the world. Forbes global wealth team found
1,645 billionaires with an aggregate net worth of $6.4 trillion, up from $5.4 trillion a
year ago. Forbes unearthed a record 268 new ten-figure fortunes, including 42 new
women billionaires, another record. In total, there are 172 women on the list, more
than ever before and up from 138 last year.
Bill Gates is back on top after a four-year hiatus, reclaiming the title of world’s richest
person from telecom mogul Carlos Slim Helu of Mexico, who ranked No. 1 for the past
four years. Gates, whose fortune rose by $9 billion in the past year, has held the top
spot for 15 of the past 20 years. CONTINUE TO FULL STORY>>
Newscast Media — Bill Gates has been named as the wealthiest person in America for the 17th year in a row. Forbes magazine put his fortune at $54bn with investment guru Warren Buffet second with $45bn.
Software tycoon Larry Ellison was in third place, while Wal-Mart heir Christy Walton was fourth on Forbes’ list of the 400 richest Americans. It took a net worth of at least $1bn to earn a spot in the rankings – up from $950m in 2009.
The collective net worth of the 400 billionaires rose by 8% from 2009, totalling $1.37 trillion – approximately the same as the GDP of Spain or Canada.
Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg, whose wealth grew by 245% to $6.4bn,
puts him at 35 in the list.
1. Bill Gates – $54bn (Microsoft) +$4bn
2. Warren Buffet – $45bn (Berkshire Hathaway) +$5bn
3. Lawrence Ellison – $27bn (Oracle) +0bn
4. Christy Walton & Family – $24bn (Wal-Mart) +$2.4bn
5. Charles Koch – $21.5bn (Manufacturing) +$5.5bn
6. David Koch – $21.5bn (Manufacturing) +$5.5bn
7. Jim C. Walton – $20.1bn (Wal-Mart) +$500 million
8. Alice Walton – $20bn (Wal-Mart) +$700 million
9. S. Robinson Walton – $19.7bn +$700 million
10. Michael Bloomberg – $18bn +$500 million http://newscastmedia.com/forbeslist.htm