Newscast Media BOSTON—The Justice Department has recommended the death
penalty for Dzokhar Tsarnaev, if found guilty of carrying out the bombings last April
during the Boston Marathon.
Eric Holder, the US Attorney General, submitted a motion through federal prosecutors
notifying the court of his intent to seek the death penalty for Tsarnaev for his role in
the blasts that killed three people on April 15, 2013.
Tsarnaev along with his brother Tamerlan who died during a police shootout, are both
Chechens from Russia. CONTINUE TO FULL STORY>>
The Department of Justice has filed a new lawsuit against the State of Texas, the Texas Secretary of State, and the Director of the Texas Department of Public Safety over the State’s strict voter photo identification law (SB 14).
The United States’ complaint seeks a declaration that SB 14 violates Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act, as well as the voting guarantees of the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution.
by Napp Nazworth
Newscast Media WASHINGTON, D.C.—The House of Representatives voted 255-67 on Thursday to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress for refusing to turn over documents related to the “Fast and Furious” investigation.
Seventeen Democrats joined 238 Republicans in passing the measure. Only two Republicans voted against it. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) did not vote. Instead, she led a walkout in protest of the contempt charge. In total, 108 Democrats and two Republicans did not vote, but it is not clear how many of those participated in the walkout versus those who were not in attendance for other reasons.
“We’re here because when we asked legitimate questions about Brian Terry’s murder, about ‘Fast and Furious,’ we were lied to,” said Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), who has led the investigation as chair of the House Oversight Committee. “We were lied to repeatedly and over a 10 month period. The fact is that is what we’re here for.”
Pelosi accused Republicans of lying about the facts and engaging in a hyper-partisan, election year exercise.
“The fact is,” Pelosi said, “that the chief legal officer of our country and his staff has to spend enormous energy, psychic, intellectual and time, dealing with this unprincipled effort on the part of Republicans.
The contempt charge came after Holder continually refused to hand over documents relating to the period when the Justice Department misinformed the committee about the “Fast and Furious” program.
“Fast and Furious” was an undercover operation that sold weapons to drug dealers and other criminals. The weapons were not tracked and some were found at the scene of a shootout in which Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry was killed.In February 2011, the Justice Department sent a letter to a member of Congress saying that no weapons were sold that were not tracked. In December 2011, the Justice Department admitted that was not true, there were weapons that were sold under the program that were not tracked.
“Our fellow citizens have a right to know the truth and we have an obligation to fight for it, Mr. Speaker, the politics be damned,” Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) said. “We have a right to fight for it.”
Newscast Media — A total of 14 people have been rounded up and indicted by US law enforcement officials for allegedly attempting to provide assistance to Somali terrorist group al-Shabab.
US attorney general Eric Holder announced the indictments on Thursday, and said at least two of those arrested were US citizens. Of the 10 men who had been charged with terrorism offenses for leaving the US to join al-Shabab as foreign fighters, seven had been charged, either by indictment, or criminal complaint.
Holder said, “In the district of Minnesota alone a total of 19 people have now been charged in connection with this investigation. Nine have been arrested in the US or overseas, five of whom have already pleaded guilty. Ten of the charged defendants are not in custody and are believed to be overseas.”
Among the indicted, two were Somali-born US citizens living in Minnesota. Amina Farah Ali and Hawo Mohamed Hassan were accused of raising money and sending it to al-Shabab, and lying to FBI investigators. The indictment said the two were charged in a 16-count indictment ranging from raising money for al-Shabab using door-to-door techniques in Somali communities in Minnesota and Canada, to teleconferencing and raising funds, claiming the monies would be used to help the poor and destitute in Somalia.
According to the indictment, Ali was accused of sending $8,600 to al-Shabab. http://www.newscastmedia.com/al-shabab-backers.htm