Newscast ABUJA—An explosion that shattered a bus station in Nigeria’s capital this
morning, killing 71 people and injuring 124, has been blamed on Boko Haram the
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation reported that President Goodluck Jonathan visited
the scene in Abuja and blamed the Islamic extremist group which operates in the
northeast of Nigeria and which has been threatening to attack Nigeria’s capital. One
official said he believed the bomb was buried in the earth while the emergency
management agency said the explosives were apparently hidden in a vehicle.
The blast destroyed 16 luxury buses and 24 minibuses and cars, said police
spokesman Frank Mba, who gave the death toll.
Newscast Media LAGOS—Delegates from Nigeria’s many religious, ethnic and linguistic
groups are meeting for a conference in Abuja to discuss the country’s future. The
plight of the internally displaced is a reminder of unresolved tensions.
Nigerians living in the north east of their country live in constant fear of attacks by
the militant Islamist sect Boko Haram. Many have therefore fled to neighboring
countries or neighboring Nigerian states.
Laraba Ahmed Karwu works for the State Emergency Management Service (SEMA) in
Gombe state. She is sitting in a comfortable stool watching a film on a laptop. A
generator could he heard running outside.
Karwu is responsible for displaced persons in Gombe state, but she doesn’t appear to
be very busy.
“Eighty percent of the returnees were originally residents of Gombe,” she said. “So
when they come back, they know where they can turn to for inquiries about their
relatives. In other words, they are not helpless,” she said.
The ever increasing number of refugees, particularly In Nigeria’s larger cities, could
have serious repercussions, said Hildegard Behrendt-Kigozi, director of Germany’s
Konrad Adenauer Foundation in Nigeria’s capital Abuja.
“When people move to cities that are already short of jobs and that are already over
populated, then they will be not received with open arms. There will be tension,” she
Thousands of people have been killed in the insurgency since it started in 2009.
Nearly 300,000 people in the crisis-hit states have fled to other parts of Nigeria,
according to estimates from the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian
Source: Deutsche Welle
Newscast Media WASHINGTON—The United States on Wednesday blacklisted Nigeria’s
Boko Haram group and an offshoot known as Ansaru as terror groups, bowing to
months of pressure to move against the brutal insurgents.
“These designations are an important and appropriate step, but only one tool in what
must be a comprehensive approach by the Nigerian government to counter these
groups…to help root out violent extremism,” the State Department said in a
US accused Boko Haram of claiming thousands of lives since 2009 mainly in Nigeria.
“In the last several years, Boko Haram and Ansaru have been responsible for
thousands of deaths in northeast and central Nigeria,” key White House homeland
security advisor Lisa Monaco said in a statement.
Click here to see the list of foreign terrorist organizations.
US officials also accuse Boko Haram of links to Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, while
Ansaru is a splinter faction that earlier this year kidnapped and executed seven
foreign construction workers.
Source: Al Manar TV
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan on Sunday condemned the bloody terrorist attacks in northeast Yobe State that claimed more than 40 lives. Speaking in a televised media chat in Abuja, the nation’s capital city, President Jonathan extended sincere condolences to the families of those who lost their loved ones in the dastardly attack.
The Nigerian leader said the apparent objective of the criminal and unpatriotic elements and forces behind the attack is to set back the progress the administration has made in the fight against terrorism in the country.
“It is obvious that these people do not mean well for Nigeria and its unity and development,” he said.
Medical Director of the Damaturu Specialist Hospital Garba Fika confirmed that 40 students of the College of Agriculture at Gujba in Yobe State were killed by gunmen in the early hours of Sunday.
Garba said this when Governor Ibrahim Gaidam of Yobe visited the hospital to inspect the wounded and the corpses of students deposited at the mortuary. He said five students including three with fractures, one with bullet wound and another with abdominal injury were receiving treatment at the hospital.
Earlier, the governor appealed to the federal government and security chiefs to take urgent steps towards ending the frequent attacks and killings of innocent people in Borno and Yobe.
Gaidam made the appeal while inspecting the remains of 40 students of College of Agriculture deposited at the mortuary of Specialists’ Hospital, Damaturu.
The governor described as highly alarming, the number of lives being lost to insurgents in the two states, warning that anyone traveling on the Damaturu to Maiduguri highway, was taking a huge risk. He urged the newly established Seven Division of the Nigerian Army to intensify surveillance of all flash points in the two states, to flush out the insurgents.
Newscast Media LAGOS—Since seven functionaries of the governing People’s Democratic Party (PDP) stormed out of a party convention at the end of August and set up their own party, politics in Nigeria have been in disarray.
The PDP has been in power continuously since the end of the military dictatorship in 1998. Now it appears to be falling apart and the influence of President Goodluck Jonathan is dwindling. The reason is the upcoming presidential elections in the oil-rich West African nation, due in 2015, for which major players are moving into position.
The seven rebels are, with one exception, governors of federal states in the predominantly Muslim north. Together they represent just over 20 percent of the Nigerian electorate and are, therefore, an important electoral factor for President Jonathan.
The rebels accuse the president of not sticking to the rules. Under an unwritten law, top political positions alternate every other legislature period between the mainly Muslim north and the mainly Christian south. Jonathan comes from the south. He became president in 2010 after the unexpected death of President Umar Yar’Adua, a northerner. One year later an election confirmed Jonathan in office. That means he is coming to the end of his second term, say his opponents.
But the president seems to have every intention of running again in 2015. The rebel governors want to bring pressure to bear on him to respect the traditional way of doing things, says political scientist and analyst Garba Umar Kari from the University of Abuja in the Nigerian capital.
Up to now, with more than 60 percent, Jonathan’s PDP had a comfortable majority in the Nigerian Governors’ Forum. Now it has the backing of less than half of the 36 governors. This is not the first time there has been a power struggle within the PDP. But never before has one wing come out so strongly against the head of state and Jonathan’s hold on power could now be seriously at risk.
Jonathan’s critics also say he has done nothing to reduce poverty in Nigeria.
Jonathan has not yet made an official statement on whether he plans to run for a further term in office. However, observers say he is bringing his followers, most prominently party chairman Tukur, into position. This is seen as a clear indication that he does intend to make a renewed bid for the presidency.
For the time being, reconciliation does not seem a likely prospect. However, much can happen between now and the elections in 2015.
Source: Deutsche Welle
Newscast Media LAGOS—Boko Haram insurgents in Nigeria’s Borno State have ordered civil servants and Christians to leave two towns. The government vacillates between crackdown and dialogue. Hundreds of residents have fled the towns of Bama and Gwoza in Borno State following attacks and threats by suspected members of the Islamist militant sect Boko Haram.
The insurgents were moving from house to house, issuing threatening letters saying that civil servants and Christians must leave Bama within seven days or risk being killed, according to one Bama resident speaking to the media on arrival in Maiduguri.
Borno State, of which Maiduguri is the capital, is located in the mainly Muslim northeast of Nigeria. Southern Nigeria is predominantly Christian.
Ibrahim Aliyu, national director political and social affairs of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) youth wing described the situation in Borno State as terrible.
“These people will come to Maiduguri town and attack a school so I think the government should do a lot more than they are doing now,” he said.
The insurgents were chased out of their Sambisa Game Reserve camps by the security forces in a crackdown launched on May 14, but some were said to have regrouped and started fresh attacks.
This is not the first time that Boko Haram has threatened to attack Christian residents.
Last year, a purported Boko Haram spokesman known by the name of Abul Qaqa, issued an ultimatum to southerners living in the northern part of Nigeria to move away. Abul Qaga was reportedly killed by the Nigerian military last year.
Analyst Ibrahim Shamsudeen accuses the government of President Jonathan of failing to tackle the insurgency adequately. He says there is a confusing scenario in which the government has called for dialogue with Boko Haram, but at the same time it is waging war against them. “If there is going to be a dialogue, let there be circumstances under which these people will come out for dialogue,” he said.
Source: Radio Deutsche Welle
by Leonardo Blair
Newscast Media LAGOS—A Nigerian human rights lawyer, Emmanuel Ogebe, has accused the U.S. Department of State of enabling Islamist militant group Boko Haram by mischaracterizing their actions in that country which have resulted in the death of more than 1,000 Christians and other civilians since 2012.
Ogebe, special counsel for Justice for Jos is engaged at the International Criminal Court on crimes against humanity in Nigeria and is lead author of the 2012 report by Jubilee Campaign.
He was also among a group of regional experts on Northern Nigeria and that country’s Middle Belt who drew attention to the pre-genocide occurring in those areas at a Congressional briefing in Washington, D.C., last Thursday.
“Sadly the latest human rights report has taken it a step further with the State Department essentially advocating the establishment of Islamic law courts in Nigeria, a demand no one else in Nigeria is making, except the jihadist terrorists themselves,” explained Ogebe.
“One did not think it possible for the U.S. position to degenerate any further but there seems to be no depth that the State Department will not sink lower still to. Now they have gone from making ransom demands to making ideological demands consistent with the theology of Boko Haram,” he added.
On Monday, CP contacted the Department of State for comment but was told the relevant spokesperson, Hilary Renner, was unavailable. The Jubilee Campaign was also expected to send the Department of State their analysis its recently released country report on Nigeria.
In the analysis, organizations associated with the campaign raised particular concern about the State Department’s new call for a Sharia appeals court.
“The message needs to be conveyed to U.S. policy makers and the Department of State that extremism in Nigeria should not be rewarded with amnesty, but that victims should be compensated and security restored,” said Ann Buwalda, executive director of the Jubilee Campaign USA, who reported a large audience at Thursday’s Congressional briefing.
At the briefing, the Honorable Tigwar Zainab Naazem, a female Muslim member of the Plateau State House of Assembly also described how Muslim settlers in Nigeria’s Plateau state control Muslim institutions and how the Fulani herdsmen and Boko Haram are conducting killings in her state.
She explained that Muslim indigene constituents are discriminated against by Muslim settlers who have managed to convince the outside world that they are the ones facing discrimination.