United Nations: M23 rebels will not be allowed to re-emerge
Newscast Media KINSHASA—The United Nations mission in the Democratic Republic of
Congo says it will not allow a resurgence of the March 23 rebel group.
The UN Special Representative in Congo told the UN Security Council on Monday that
there are “credible reports that the military recruitment of the M23 did not cease”
after a peace agreement between the M23 and the Congolese government, which
was signed in Kenya in December 2013.
“There are also credible reports of emerging M23 activities in Ituri in northeastern
Congo,” Martin Kobler said.
He stated that the M23 must not be allowed to reemerge as a military
force in mineral-rich eastern Congo. “We should tolerate no military
reemergence of the M23.”
The M23 rebels, who defected from the Congolese army in April 2012 in protest over
alleged mistreatment, laid down their arms in November last year after their military
On November 5, 2013, the Congolese government claimed “total victory” over the M23
after capturing the group’s remaining hilltop positions north of the eastern city of
Goma with the assistance of the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in
the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO).
Kobler went on to say there can be “no roll back on what has been achieved so far”
and called on “the governments of Uganda and Rwanda to do everything possible to
prevent M23 elements from sheltering or training troops on their territory.”
Kinshasa and the UN have said that the M23 rebels were trained in Rwanda and
Uganda, which both countries deny.
The eastern Congo has experienced interminable cycles of violence since 1998.
The war in the Congo has dragged on for over a decade and left over 5.5 million
Source: Press TV