U.S. warns of all-out civil war breaking out in South Sudan

The Sudan

Newscast Media WASHINGTON—The risk of an all-out civil war in South Sudan is
growing as violence continues after weeks of deadly conflict, a top U.S. diplomat for
Africa warned Thursday.

“Today, tragically, the world’s youngest country and undoubtedly one of its most
fragile democracies is in danger of shattering,” said U.S. Assistant Secretary for Africa
Linda Thomas-Greenfield before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations. “Each
day that the conflict continues, the risk of all-out civil war grows. There is clear
evidence that targeted killings have taken place.”

The current conflict in South Sudan broke out on Dec. 15 when President Salva Kiir’s
government claimed that soldiers loyal to former deputy president Riek Machar, who
was dismissed in July, staged an attempted coup. Weeks of bloody conflict have
caused more than 200,000 people to flee their homes in the country, according to
UN.

Thomas-Greenfield told the committee that “we have not seen any evidence that this
was a coup attempt” and the violence erupted due to “a huge political rift” between
Kiir and Machar.

Representatives for the both sides are holding talks in Addis Ababa, the capital of
Ethiopia, with mediators hoping to broker a ceasefire.

While there had been an agreement to lay down arms, Machar’s side was still insisting
that 11 of his allies be released first by Kiir’s government. The pro-rebel leaders were
detained by the government in Juba, the South Sudanese capital, for their alleged
role in the coup attempt, according to Thomas-Greenfield.

“We are working, both in Juba as well as in Addis, as well as here in Washington, to
pressure the government to release these detainees,” she said.

Source: Xinhua

http://newscastmedia.com/civil-war-sudan.htm