US condemns back-to-back Volgograd terrorist attacks
Newscast Media WASHINGTON—The United States on Monday condemned the
back-to-back terrorist attacks in Volgograd that killed dozens and offered to assist
Moscow with security preparations for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympic Games in
“The United States stands in solidarity with the Russian people against terrorism,”
White House spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said in a statement. “The US government
has offered our full support to the Russian government in security preparations for the
Sochi Olympic Games.”
A bomb explosion tore through a trolleybus in Volgograd on Monday morning, killing at
least 14 people and injuring 28 in the southern Russian city’s second terrorist attack
in less than 24 hours.
Authorities believe both Monday’s attack and an explosion at the Volgograd-1 railway
station Sunday that killed 17 and injured more than 40 were carried out by suicide
“The United States condemns the terrorist attacks that struck the Russian city of
Volgograd and sends deepest condolences to the families of the victims with hopes
for the rapid healing of those wounded,” Hayden said in the statement.
Monday’s blast was the third such attack in Volgograd in just over two months and
came just weeks before the Sochi Games are set to kick off on February 7. Previously
known as Stalingrad, Volgograd is located about 430 miles (700 kilometers) from Sochi
Russian authorities have made efforts to boost security at the Black Sea resort that
is due to host the Winter Games, and Hayden said Monday that Washington would
“welcome the opportunity for closer cooperation for the safety of the athletes,
spectators and other participants” in Sochi.
Source: Ria Novosti